Thursday, October 13, 2005

pre-Elizabethtown

I really want to see Elizabethtown. It comes out tomorrow night. Anyone up for going?

Does anyone know where Elizabethtown (referred to as "E-town") is?

Elizabethtown is about 45 minutes south of where I am in Louisville, and they actually filmed some of the movie there. Now, I'm sure there's a good chance they make southerners look like a bunch of mentally challenged morons, but that's Hollywood for you (consider the similarities between a mentally challenged Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump and a southern Tom Hanks in The Green Mile).

Regardless, I really enjoy movies set in the South... I guess because the settings remind me of home, no matter how inaccurate the actors are at portraying actual people from there.

The worst fake southern accent in a major movie that I've EVER heard: Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain, although I'm sure that some of you have probably seen worse. So where's the worst fake southern accent you've ever heard (in real life or on a movie)?

See this article about Elizabethtown. (Saturday I will edit/add to this post a review of what I thought of the movie.)

Saturday: See my review

11 Comments:

Blogger CanaGal said...

Wait, you aren't allowed to go to movies. Or dance.

Thu Oct 13, 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Jeannine said...

nicole kidman was not successful in pulling off a southern accent.

a girl i went to high school with had a really fake southern drawl. it would come out every time she wanted to be cute and loud. so annoying.

Thu Oct 13, 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Canagal, I can't tell if you're making fun of the stereotype of Southern Baptists or buying into it.

Thu Oct 13, 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger CanaGal said...

trust me, I went to a seminary where we had to sign a contract that we wouldn't go to movies and we wouldn't listen to secular music. Tongue in cheek humour, yes, but at the same time - what gives!?!

Thu Oct 13, 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

Jonathan -- did you know that I am from Elizabethtown (E-town!!)? Yep, lived there (or around there) since I was knee-high to a horney-toad (about 4 years old actually). They talk about Louisville in the movie too... I'm definitely curious about it.

I would like to see it, but I think I'm going to wait until it comes out on video.. I just can't justify paying $8 to see a movie that I may not like.

BTW -- Lindsay Jennings, Josh Howell, and some other people are going tomorrow. Try to catch up with them.

YAY for locally set movies!!

Thu Oct 13, 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Our student ID's get us $2 off the price at Stonybrook, Donna. Will you post Josh's phone number on this comment page so I can call him? Just kidding.

Thu Oct 13, 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I don't think I've ever heard a decent Southern accent in any movie or TV show from an actor not from the South (or Texas - it's not the South, it's some kind of weird "other" that's just... well.. Texas). I hear John Travolta does a pretty appalling Southern accent in the movie Love Song for Bobby Long. And I think he was trying to go for one in Battlefield Earth, but I can't be sure.

Some good Southern accents... Josh Holloway on Lost, Holly Hunter in almost anything she does, Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

Another bad Southern accent: my own whenever I visit relatives.

Fri Oct 14, 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

HA! I get that way around friends from High school sometimes too, Scooch :)

Another good southern accent: Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama

Fri Oct 14, 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

But then again... she's from the South (Tennessee)

Fri Oct 14, 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Oh, I almost forgot. The best Southern accent ever in any film - Christopher Guest in Best in Show. He does a North Carolinian accent and nails it.

Tue Oct 18, 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Nunzia said...

I hope to God you didn't waste your time, money, or brain cells seeing that failure of a film. A disaster of mythic proportions is a good definition to use here. A FIASCO! If you've already seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Tue Oct 18, 03:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home