Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Postmodernism isn't Postmodern

I am currently being mentored by a doctoral (well, 2nd time post-graduate) student here who is teaching me the "defense against the dark arts" (for those of you who've read Harry Potter) - he's teaching me to defend Christianity, and to learn. Possibly the smartest guy I know.

AMENDMENT: after speaking with David, he has humbly requested that I downplay him because he does not feel that he should receive so much credit... what a humble guy! The most humble AND the smartest! Just kidding... seriously, he wanted me to remind everyone that he is a man just like every other Christian man, no more or less special. And that's important, that we remember we're all special. And if you ever have a chance to meet him, you'll see that he is the farthest from being one of these people that thinks they know everything, so don't let me give you that impression. Notice I said that he's teaching me to learn just as he is an example himself of someone who wants to learn.

I feel that I should take a minute to intellectually challenge my liberal friends. This afternoon, as David and I were discussing postmodernism, I realized that your postmodern leanings are neither post nor modern. Doesn't postmodernism pride itself on being "original" and not bound to any set standards? Yet, if we examine some ancient Greek writings we can see that this idea of "no absolute truths" is not new at all. In fact, there is Nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiates 1:9). Don't believe me? Consider 2000 years ago, that's TWO MILLENIUMS AGO. A man named Pilate asked Jesus himself, "what is truth?" (John 18:38 ESV). What is truth! That is the VERY question that I've been asked by many postmodernists.

Postmodern "thinkers" have this idea that their thoughts are new and cutting edge, but they've simply reverted back to a self-defeating way of thinking (consider: the only truth is that there are no truths; intolerance towards intolerance) that will collapse upon itself, and we can figure what will be the next big thing. Years ago, you had pluralism (jews, greeks, etc) and there was the Greek mythology and nobody knew what to believe. Then Jesus came along to the postmodern world. Paul addressed the Areopagus, where there were so many different "gods" that they even had a shrine to "an unknown god!" Talk about a people with no absolute truths! However, after the truth was brought by Christ and shared by Paul, there was a time of great tribulation for the Christians (consider the early church martyrs).

Okay this is kind of a vague posting, because the seminary internet is all running through a 28K modem I think, and I've already spent over 2 hours on this. Please leave a comment! Speaking of which, ninjas are cool, so you should check out this funny website: http://www.realultimatepower.net/ it is an interesting look into what it means to be a ninja.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I

Wed Sep 28, 01:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to...

Wed Sep 28, 01:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make a few

Wed Sep 28, 01:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

comments

Wed Sep 28, 01:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that all.

Wed Sep 28, 01:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Adums is pretty cute. All that curly hair... I could dig a guy who digs coffee.

Tue Oct 11, 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home