Thursday, September 22, 2005

Attn: Young Singles

We've all been there before. You sit in front of an open window on an overcast day, listening to rain approaching. You drive through a mountain pass and see the most inspiring sunset over the valley. You stay up till the wee hours of the night blogging or journaling or... well, just staying up! And in the end, you crawl into your empty bed and wonder why you have no one to put your arms around.

Even grocery stores are always reminding us that we were meant to be part of a couple, in a lifelong relationship (Genesis 2:18). Just consider that you can never buy groceries for one, you have to buy enough to cook for at least two people.

I watched my little sister(best friend) get married this past summer. It was a beautiful wedding. It's really tough seeing the world move on around you and wondering if perhaps there was someone out there you missed. But in all honesty, when people would ask if it was hard for the 3 older siblings in my family to watch our younger sister get married, at least for me I could honestly say no, because being there, you get so caught up in the fun of friends and family gathering for a joyous occasion that you temporarily become numb to the pain of the single life. It's actually harder to go to weddings of people you're only semi-close to because those are the ones where you find yourself alone amidst a happy crowd focused on a happy couple, and in your mind you stand out more like a sore thumb than ever before.

It's in those alone times, though, that you want to get on a world-wide megaphone and say "where are you?!" and just know that you're going to hear a gentle voice through a screaming silence say, "I'm here" and the stress of wondering will all be over. But it doesnt happen that way. Rather, our heart cries out "where are you?!" and no one hears... no one but God. And who else wants our hearts more than God? No one. (Exodus 20:5) But believe me, I know what it feels like to sit and ask, will He reward my patience? Is He going to bring someone into my life? I'm 25, and I have several friends who've been married for years already.

My future wife is somewhere out there, I know she is. But I also know that as much as I long to be with her, our Creator longs to be with us so much more. Now to all of you married people, please appreciate what you have, know that you are SO blessed, and even when the "magic" seems to be gone from time to time, or even most of the time, just remember the days when you were alone, and be glad you're not there now. Appreciate the fact that if you get to go to an exotic island, tour Europe, ski in Colorado, or just stay up late and be silly, you don't have to do it alone.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowza!! That couple looks Hot! jk. Hey, I've gotta write a comment cuz nobody else will.
I hope you are having fun on your vacation. I wrote you an email. An email I say? Yes. Behind the times a little I guess. Hope you have fun! By the way, I think that if you work at Hollister, you will spend all your money on clothes. And that cuts into my birthday gift fund. So dont. jk.
Love you.
Ps. can you Ps on a blog? Well, I am. I saw the preview for Memoirs of a Geisha, and it looks so beautiful! I cant wait to see it. I told you I was being a Geisha for halloween, maybe I should wear the costume to the movie....
hahaha

Sun Sep 25, 08:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well its just too bad your little sister wouldn't introduce you to some of the really hot girls in Athens. tsk, tsk. You'd think she'd want others to enjoy marriage...but noooooo. I mean she's got four good-looking brothers (the 20 yr old is especially handsome), and you know her friends would want to date at least one of us. (based on probability alone)(even considering that the youngest has a mexican crustache) oh well. but at least you have some females within your vicinity. i thought I saw a female the other day on tech campus (a very rare occurence), but it was probably an optical illusion, like a mirage or something. still, I told all of my friends, and we sounded the alarms, they're probably still searching the campus. Right now, I'm relying on God taking one of my ribs and creating a woman for me...cause that'd probably be easier for Him than finding a girl on tech's campus.

Mon Sep 26, 01:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain J-balla. It's the everyday battle of the Christian Hedonist to maintain a content in the joy of just knowing God, and being able to enjoy glorifying Him with those opportunities which are unique to singlehood. knamsayincuzin'?

Mon Sep 26, 02:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Herrrrrd DAT, BCo!

Mon Sep 26, 02:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jeannine said...

y'all comments make me laugh.
side note to jeff who can't seem to find any ladies on ga tech's campus, i happen to know some fabulous christian girls at tech...they're in the sorority adx.

Mon Sep 26, 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

There are a lot of fine girls in Macon, J-Man. So you should move back here.

Wed Sep 28, 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I agree Sara, after looking back on this post, I see where it doesn't accurately portray my thoughts on singleness. I've been so happy with the freedom I've had since the end of my relationship last spring, and found that I've had so much more time to devote to so many other things, specifically having a more intense relationship with God.

I guess I was really just saying that though I'm content with my situation now, I'm also looking forward to meeting and falling in love with, and committing my life to loving, adoring, protecting, and caring for a girl that God brings into my life.

Fri Oct 14, 04:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home